Articles in database from Stockton News: 5
With this number closes the second volume of the Stockton News. Two years ago this month, J. W. Newell launched the News into the Kansas newspaper field....In August last, he deemed it best to return to his paternal home in Iowa. For reasons best known to ourselves, we (Randall Bro's) then bought out his entire interest in the News....As all are aware, the time that we can devote to the newspaper is limited, but we shall endeavor to give the people...as good a paper as its support will warrant and our time will permit....
On Jan. 6, 1876, the Stockton News, than a small five-column paper, was launched into existence with the writer hereof (J. W. Newell) as editor and proprietor, under anything but auspicious circumstances -- the country then being sparsely settled, and but two business houses in town.
...On Feb. 10 of the same year, we associated with us in its publication W. H. Barnes, who labored hard and unceasingly to make the paper a success. On Feb. 1, 1877, Mr. Barnes withdrew as a partner...and we alone continued the business until Aug. 9, when the material, good will and patronage of the paper were sold to Randall & Hicks, with E. F. Randall as editor.
Jan. 17, 1878, G. M. Randall became one of the proprietors and editors, which arrangement continued until Dec. 5, 1878, when, by reason of increase of other business, Randall Bros. as editors retired and the writer was again installed. Today we present the News enlarged to 48 columns, just double its former size....Now that the News is double the size of any other paper in northwestern Kansas...we feel justified in raising the subscription price to $2 per year....
With last number of the News we discontinue our relation with it as proprietors or editors, having sold out to Messrs. Smith & Tremper. -- Randell Bros. & Co.
We chronicle the advent of two new journals in the newspaper world. The WaKeeney Leader and the Graham County Lever, published at Gettysburg. Neither are the first-born in their respective counties....May the one lead its editor into pleasant pastures, and the other lift its editor out of the printer's slough of despond to a land where board bills never come due and peace and plenty reign.
Our contemporary, the Stockton Record, made its first appearance on Thursday last. It is a five-column, eight-page paper, and will be published on Saturday of each week.