Articles in database from Russell Record: 18
The Lincoln County Farmer has changed to the Osborne County Farmer and will be published at Osborne City as a six column folio.
We have received the first number of the Western Democrat, a new paper published at Lincoln Center by F. M. Beatty.
"And now comes the Russell County Record, built upon the ruins of the Republic. The new paper presents a more readable appearance than the old...." - Ellsworth Reporter. No. Not any ruins.
The double number, January and April, of the Electrotyper is on our table; full of beautiful specimens, prominent among which is a page of new and attractive headings.
Another consolidation. Mr. Sharp, publisher of the Ottawa Republican, has purchased the Times of that place and consolidated it with his own paper.
D. R. Anthony - According to the last advices we have had, Col. Anthony was still alive but no hopes of his ultimate recovery were entertained by his physicians. We have refrained from speaking of this matter until we could thoroughly acquaint ourselves with the facts connected with it, and are forced to the conclusion that it was a willful act premeditated, and directly unprovoked. It was the result of the desire on the part of Union printers to force others to their way of thinking and to persecute all who dared to be independent. It was the result of the same kind of feeling that prompted striking miners in Pennsylvania to threaten to shoot poor men whose families were suffering for the food their work alone could procure; the same kind of feeling that almost resulted in wholesale murder at the Straitsville mines in Ohio; the same kind of bigotry that causes a county or state association of physicians to forbid, under pain of expulsion, its members to meet...those of another school. It is the result of the prostitution to base purposes of an institution intended originally to benefit its members, and is what all labor and trades unions naturally tend to. The good that was to have been accomplished is forgotten, and petty tyranny, jealousy and hate are the fruits.
We are in receipt of the Winfield Plow and Anvil, a neat and newsy paper published in Cowley County by Walton & McIntire.
The Record and Its Predecessors - The first paper published in Russell County was The Pioneer in May 1871 by Harbaugh & Corbett. It was a monthly printed in Abilene and mailed at Bunker Hill; three numbers were published.
On the 9th of May, 1872, at Bunker Hill, The New Republic made its first appearance; J. R. Rankin editor and Harbaugh & Corbett proprietors. From August 1, 1872, to May 1, 1873, W. B. Christopher had editorial charge, after which time J. B. Corbett owned and edited the paper until February 24, 1874, when he sold out to Dollison Bros. & Co., and W. B. Higby assumed the editorial management.
Having made the mistake of buying a paper already on the decline, the proprietors did all they could to give it new life and strength, and partially succeeded until the country was devastated by grasshoppers in July 1874, when they were compelled to suspend.
The material of the office, coming into the possession of Dollison Bros., they determined to commence the publication of a new paper at Russell, as there was at that time no regularly published paper in the county. Accordingly, on the 19th of November, 1874, the first number of the Russell County Record was issued. Commencing at a time when business depression was very great, the Record has flourished beyond the most sanguine expectations of its originators and now, as the prospect for a bounteous harvest grows better and better, the basis of the paper is becoming broader, and the prospects of its future brighter, and we attribute our success to the fact that we take the pay in advance.
The Walnut Valley Times, edited by Bent Murdock, has formally declared that hereafter there will be no free notices published in that paper. Everything will be rated and charged for. Mr. Murdock says he is always willing and ready to contribute towards any charitable object the same as any other man, and will do so, but that business is business, and notices of church fairs, parties, baseball games and other like amusements must be paid for.
In commenting upon the subject, the Commonwealth most appropriately says: "The meanest of all mean things is for these societies to run around town to save 50 cents on a job of a few dollars and give it to some job office that pays its hands about half price, and then expect the newspapers to publish free, not only an advertisement of the proposed meeting, concert or whatever it may be, but to give a full account of it afterwards, when perhaps it is a matter that interests only a score of people and is a bore to the great mass of readers. This is done almost daily in nearly every community where papers are published."
The initial number of the Stockton News has reached us. It is a neat little five column folio, all printed at home. We wish Brother Newell success in his new venture.
The Record office has been moved into the Union Block, upstairs over H. Wentworth's hardware store.
From history of Russell County:
The first newspaper published in the county was the Pioneer by Harbaugh & Corbett. It was a monthly land journal, printed in Abilene and mailed from Bunker Hill.
About the 1st of April, 1872, John R. Rankin landed at Bunker Hill with a printing press and some material; and the first typesetting in the county was done in the "office" of the Buckeye House.
Soon after, A. B. Cornell brought a printing office to Russell and on the 25th of April, 1872, issued No. 1, Vol. 1, of the Western Kansas Plainsman. Mr. Rankin was delayed somewhat in receiving a sufficient amount of material, so that the first number of his paper, The New Republic, did not appear until the 9th of May, 1872.
These two papers entered fully into the spirit of rivalry between the two towns during the county seat contest of that year.
We are in receipt of the first and second numbers of a new paper, the Inland Tribune, which has just been started in Great Bend....C. P. Townsley is the editor and proprietor.
We are in receipt of the Kirwin Progress, a new paper printed on the material formerly used here in the manufacture of the Plainsman....It is edited by E. F. Robinson.
We are in receipt of Vol. 1, No. 2, of the Interior; N. C. Boles proprietor and H. Inman editor. It hails from Hutchinson and is just what we would expect a paper under the editorial management of Col. Inman to be - cheerful, newsy and able.
And now comes the Kirwin Lively Times, the third paper for Phillips County. A. G. McBride & L. L. Gray are editors and publishers.
W. H. Ballou of Ramsey Millett & Hudson's printing and lithographing establishment, Kansas City, Mo., allowed the light of his countenance to illuminate the interior of the Record office one day this week. Mr. Ballou is taking orders for an outfit of blank books, lithograph work, etc., for the new banking house of Ackerman & Copeland.
No. 1, Vol. 1, of Barton County's third paper - Arkansas Valley Democrat - came to hand this week. It is a five column quarto, three-fourths of which is printed in Kansas City, and is Democratic in its tendencies.
Maj. Jenness, traveling editor of the Chicago Commercial Advertiser, has been in town a few days writing up the country and looking up the interests of his paper. The Major is an old Kansan and a close observer of men and things. He is writing up Russell County for the Advertiser, and his article will be read by thousands who are looking westward for homes. We hope our business men will send the paper broadcast over the land. Now is the time to advertise your county to the hosts of people who are coming to Kansas and Maj. Jenness' paper is the best medium you can select.
L. B. Wilson has retired from the Valley Falls New Era; A. W. Moore is now the responsible man.
E. F. Robinson has stepped down and out, and Jerome & Campbell take charge of the Kirwin Progress.
We are in receipt of the Rush County Progress by Mitchell & Taylor, Lacrosse. It is a six column folio with fair advertising.
T. H. McGill, a former employee of this office, and afterwards one of the editors and publishers of the Western Progress, Olathe, has retired from that paper, leaving it in the sole charge of T. E. Milhoan.